Staff at Thompson Rivers University have formed a relationship with these international institutions to enable you to complete your PhD with them whilst still be located on on the traditional and unceded territory of the Secwepemc Nation within Secwepemcul’ecw.

This table is put together based on information available on the institutions websites, please follow the links for more information. It is important to also check each institutions website for fee updates.

Institution Applications and Start Dates PhD Begins Tuition Fees Per Year

(full time/part-time) NZD

Total Fees

NZD (tuition fees + student services fees etc.)

How to Apply Requirements to Complete Admission Criteria
AUT University Throughout the year Anytime of the year, you nominate starting date in application $34,500/$17,250 $17,933 part-time Talk to a postgraduate Faculty advisor. ·       Complete a literature review, develop and refine a research problem, present a research theory at a confirmation seminar, complete a program of research which tests the theory, complete a final thesis or dissertation of findings.


Masters with first class or second class first division. Prior research preparation and completion of a research project and a written report on that research
Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi   20/02/2017 and 31/07/2017 $25,500/12,750 $12,838     Master Degree or Students with relevant experience and backgrounds in other fields plus a graduate qualification may also apply.


University of Auckland Throughout the year Anytime of the year, you nominate starting date in application $39,500/$19,764 $20,5310 Contact a postgraduate advisor you will need academic references, academic transcripts, statement of research intent Substantial thesis representing original research Masters degree, completed a significant research project, a GPE of 5.5,
Waikato University 01 July/01 November/ 01 March First day of any month between February and November $30,230/$15,115 $15,594 Apply Online, two academic references Thesis with no coursework


A bachelors with honours or masters degree with at least Second Class Honours (First Division) or Distinction is required.



Print Friendly, PDF & Email